Here it is, the advice column that you asked for!

I am no expert but am willing to offer my opinion and thoughts on any topic you ask me about. All comments are moderated so submit your questions in any comment field and I will answer them publically on this blog. If you forget to sign your name with an alias (ie: Sad in S.D.), I will make one up for you.
***Oh and leave your comment anonymously (as in, don't use your blogger name, use your fake alias)!!!***

Remember - my advice is free... and you get what you pay for!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 23, 2009

dear jessica,

My husband and I can't agree on something. I want my 4 and 6 year old kids to stay young and innocent. I let them watch Disney and things like that for kids. He likes to let them stay up and watch movies that I think are TMI. Like PG13 and even some R. HELP! How can I protect my kids without getting into a knock down screaming fight with their dad?

Wanting peace and innocence in Iowa

*****
dear wanting,

It sounds to me like you and your husband need to have a good chat about this. I think at some point, when you two are alone and there are no distractions and you are both in a decent mood you need need to bring this topic up. Explain why you feel these PG-13 and R movies are inappropriate and ask him to explain why he thinks they are appropriate for your 4 and 6 year olds to watch... and make sure you listen.

Some other things to consider... are your kids watching these movies with you and your husband or are they watching them by themselves or as a way to keep them occupied while you and/or dad are doing something else? I don't think there are many PG-13 and R rated movies that are appropriate for young kids to watch, but at the same time, there might be some that, if you watched as a family and paused the movies to discuss along the way, it could be a good learning opportunity. Since I don't have kids, I don't ever filter movies through the eyes of a child so I can't even think of any examples of appropriate PG-13 and R movies at this point.

There is also a difference in movies rated PG-13 and R for sexual content, swearing, drug use and crude humor, and movies that are rated that way because of war scenes or action. So what is the content of these movies?

I agree that it's important to keep your kids innocent and there are many things in life they don't need to know until they are older, but at the same time, kids will be exposed to stuff through TV, media, other kids, school etc that you can't avoid. Maybe you and your husband can compromise and find movies that could offer some degree of education (like a movie about an event in history)... as I mentioned previously, maybe you can discuss the movie and see if the kids have questions, pausing the movie as you watching it to talk.

To avoid the knock down screaming fight try to plan what movie you are going to watch in advance so the decision can be discussed rather than you and your husband having two different opinions in the moment that you are about to watch the movie.

And frankly, another thing to consider is what movies do your kids like best? Are they more entertained by kid movies? They might like those better!

Finally, maybe it's time to bust out the board games and add a new dimension to family night. You mentioned your husband likes to let them stay up late sometimes to watch these movies... what about family game and popcorn night? It fosters communication and family bonding and is probably a more constructive way to spend the evening anyway!

Any readers have any additional thoughts? I don't have kids so I can't speak from experience.

Not from experience on this one,
jessica

********************************************************
Dear Jessica,
I am in desperate need of help. Myself and my daughter continue to get really, oh how do I put this nicely, hideous gifts from my husband's grandma. I usually accept them graciously with a smile on my face and they end up being donated to a charity or going in the garage sale box. But how would you recommend accepting them? Would it be ok for me to decline accepting them?
Sincerely,
Gift Madness

*****
Dear Gift Madness,
This is definitely a tough situation and one I think that everyone can relate to. I honestly think that what you are doing- accepting them graciously and then either donating or selling at a garage sale at a later date- is perfect... well, as long as grandma doesn't come to your garage sale!
I think there are times when it is appropriate to make an extra effort though depending on what the gift is. For example, if Great Aunt Gertrude knits you a sweater, wear it to the next family dinner. It would make her feel really special and it takes little effort on your part. Everyone else would know why you are wearing it, too, so it could be kind of funny to reminisce about when Great Aunt Gertrude isn't around.
I would advise to always graciously accept gifts. When someone gives you something, they typically are good intentioned and as cheesy at it sounds, "it's the thought that counts." For me personally, it means that someone was thinking about me when we weren't together and I think that is kind of neat.
Oh and if someone includes the receipt, by all means, exchange it. That is what they included it for!
Graciously,
Jessica
*********************************************************
dear jessica,
When I finished university, a friend got me a great job with her small family firm. Unfortunately, her mother-in-law didn't not approve of the hire, and now she is making life miserable for me. I think I'm doing my job well, but I never get approval from her. She can't seem to even be civil with me. I'm thinking of quitting and looking for a different position, but my friend assures me she'll eventually come around. I feel like I'm right in the middle of their issue. How long should I give it? Any suggestions for winning the mother-in-law's approval?
Can't catch a break, in Cleveland
*****
dear Can't Catch a Break,
My first reaction is wondering why the friend is allowed to hire if the mother-in-law clearly doesn't trust her decisions. I also wonder if this is a problem between your friend and her mother-in-law (MIL) as you alluded to or if the MIL really has a problem with you.
I am assuming the MIL is either owner of the business or at least has lots of say in what goes on and I honestly think the best way to approach this is to chat with the MIL. Not to ask her what her deal is, but just say something like, "Since you are the owner/manager, what you think of my job performance is important to me. I'd like to schedule some time with you if you don't mind and get some feed back on my performance." This will show her that a) you care about the family business and b) you want to do the best you can and c) you are not what her assumptions of you have been to this point. And continue to work hard!
I also recommend that you continue to "kill her with kindness" - I don't mean kiss butt, no one likes a butt kiss, especially if they don't approve of you yet - but just smile genuinely when you see her, ask her how her day is going and pause to listen (even if she is just going to say "fine" and walk away), make good eye contact with her, and show her that you are loyal to the business (only you know what that looks like since you work there).
If you feel like you are getting nowhere and have tried to get feedback and have conversations with her with no success, maybe it is time to look for a new job. But look silently and try not to tell your friend until you find one. In this economy it might be hard to find a new job so keep pursuing a future at your current one until something is set in stone.
A personal experience. One time I was working retail and I felt like my manger didn't like me at all. She kind of "picked on me" and got mad at me for really dumb things. One day when it was just the two of us, I stopped what I was doing, turned and looked at her, and said, "Am I doing something wrong? I feel like you get frustrated with me a lot and over little things?" She was a little caught off guard but said she liked me and how I worked and didn't realize she was coming across that way. After that our working relationship was great. Sometimes confrontation (not rude, but honest) is the way to go!
Empathetically,
Jessica
*****************************************************
dear jessica,
I want to lose some weight. I try to be healthy, and exercise often, but I feel as though I often cannot help but eat badly. I feel like I could ask my spouse to help, but do not find it fair to ask them to take responsibility for my eating splurges. Do you have any advice?
Feeling Fat in Frankfurt
*****
dear Feeling Fat,
It's great that you try to be healthy and exercise! You are already a step ahead of most of America.
I think that it's absolutely okay to ask for help and accountability from your husband. You aren't asking him to take responsibility for your eating splurges, you are asking him to support you with a lifestyle change you want to make. And lets face it, this will benefit him as well as you will have more confidence, your longevity should increase, and you will have more energy to do things with him.
While many people can eat healthy and maintain a daily exercise routine on their own, there are also lots of people (like myself) who like to have a buddy to do those things with. It helps to keep you motivated and accountable.
Eating healthy is definitely intentional though. Maybe together you and your husband can find recipes for healthy dinners you like or keep healthier snacks in the house. I am not talking about making salads for dinner and only having carrots in the house to snack on. But there are definitely healthier alternatives to foods that we like to eat. Example: use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Buy baked chips instead of regular... stuff like that.
A few other suggestions. Don't grocery shop when you are hungry. If you buy snack foods get the kind that scome in individual portion sizes. Write down what you eat everyday. DON'T weigh yourself everyday. Drink a big glass of water before meals. Don't deny yourself of things you love, just have them in moderation. Forgive yourself if you feel you made a mistake. Don't consider the rest of the day "ruined" because you "blew it" at breakfast or lunch.
Consider joining something like Weight Watchers. I know many people, including myself, who have used that program and been very successful. They don't tell you that there are certain foods that you can't eat; they help you make better choices and help you with portions. They provide accountability because you weigh in every week, they offer suggestions and recipes and tips at the weekly meetings, and they simply teach you how to make that lifestyle change in a realistic way.
But back to your main question... it's definitely okay to ask your husband for support. He probably would want to know this is something you are struggling with. Tell him how you'd like him to help you (like going for walks together, making healthy dinner menus together, being strong enought to keep driving past DQ when you aren't, etc) and what his help doesn't look like (like saying things like "do you really want to eat that?" or "I thought you were trying to eat better?"). Your spouse will probably be your biggest fan and happy to help you anyway he can!
With Understanding,
Jessica
****************************************************
READERS: Clearly I was behind on answering questions. Sorry about that... life has been busy. Please feel free to comment and say why you agree or disagree. Also, add comments and suggestions! I obviously don't have all the answers and you just might have something valuable to add! I will still have to "approve comments" so that I can leave comment moderation on, but unless it's a question for me, I will approve all comments in response to these questions!
Oh and please excuse the typos and poor grammar. It's late =)
Cherrio

2 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Dear Wanting peace and innocence in Iowa.

Been there, done that in California.

The only difference I would make with Jessica is, I don't think it's appropriate to let little kids watch those movies for the sake of education. There will be plenty of time for that when they are a little older. Small children are very affected by adult themes. I would go to the mat (and did) to preserve their innocence.

Jess(ica) said...

to clarify - By education I mean movies like Titanic... something historical but rated higher because of the situation...