Here it is, the advice column that you asked for!

I am no expert but am willing to offer my opinion and thoughts on any topic you ask me about. All comments are moderated so submit your questions in any comment field and I will answer them publically on this blog. If you forget to sign your name with an alias (ie: Sad in S.D.), I will make one up for you.
***Oh and leave your comment anonymously (as in, don't use your blogger name, use your fake alias)!!!***

Remember - my advice is free... and you get what you pay for!

Monday, July 6, 2009

July 6, 2009

dear jessica,

My husband I and have strong opinions about animal rights. We agree that zoos are inhumane and everyone knows how we feel. We're pretty vocal.

Recently, my parents picked up our four year old for an outing. They most definitely know how we feel. They brought our son to the ZOO without telling us first. When they returned, they brushed it off like it was nothing. We are horrified for our son to have seen the animals in this situation, and feel it might affect him.

My parents think we are being rediculous, but we have told them they can't take him anymore unless they tell us exactly where they plan to bring him and we approve.We are at a hurdle. We're close to telling them they can't take him at all since they don't respect our beliefs. Who's right and who's wrong here?

Sign me, Animal Lover in the MidWest

********

Dear Animal Lover,

I try to keep my personal opinion out of secondary issues in these responses, but I feel like I need to address the Animal Rights issue as well as the issue of you feeling as though your parents overstepped their bounds.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a fan of animals. I don't like the hair everywhere, the smells, or the responsibility. Having said that, like you, I do not wish harm upon them. I think they should be treated kindly and we should not go out of our way to hurt them. I, too, have given some thought to animals living in zoo's and how in many ways, it doesn't seem right (some people might be surprised to know I have thought of that).

While, yes, zoos house animals outside their natural environment, after much thought I can't figure out how, in theory, they are inhumane. I realize that not every zoo treats the animals the same as another, but for the most part zoos have really done a good job of trying to make the habitat most like their natural one, feed them food that they need, and in some cases, even let the hunting animals hunt. And something that many people don't think about is that dogs, cats, fish and any other "pets" you might have at home are also out of their natural habitat. Yes, they have been domesticated but your living room or backyard is not your dog's natural habitat. I would be willing to bet that most animals in zoos were born in captivity (like your dog) and that is all they know. So long as the animals are not being intentionally hurt, they are probably okay and content. If you are against keeping animals captive in a zoo (even though they are treated as well as possible in their environment) then you'd have to be against household pets too.

You said you feel your son might somehow be affected by going to a zoo. I think the only way a 4 year old would be affected by going to the zoo is that he gets to learn about and see animals that he otherwise would never be able to see if he had to travel to Africa, India, China, etc to see each of them.

In regards to your parents taking your son to the zoo... I agree that, knowing your values, they should have discussed it with you. If I had to guess (and I could be wrong) I'd guess that because this is a strong belief you have, you are unwilling to hear any legitimate reasons as to why your parents feel it is okay to take your son to the zoo so they decided to just take him without your permission. I think it's time to sit down and discuss this with your parents. Restricting time with, demanding an itemeized schedule or cutting out loving grandparents from your child's life over something like animal rights, in my opinion (which you asked for) is foolish, ridiculous, and an overreaction. It's important that you and your spouse have an open discussion with your parents and that everyone is honest with each other, listens to each other, and remains open minded.

I think another way to approach this situation in which everyone wins is to take your frustration or disgust over zoos and do something positive about it. I know someone who knows someone who became a vegan. She did this because she saw a video about how cows are treated poorly at slaughter houses and decided right then that she was going to stop eating any animal products because of how some are treated. I think this is an ignorant response to a real problem. If she truly wanted to make a difference, refusing to eating animal products (which she enjoyed before the video) is not the answer. She should have decided to only eat animal products from organic growers - from farmers who raised their animals in a humane way and do not treat them poorly. She would not only be "boycotting" farms that mistreat animals, she would be supporting and promoting farms where animals are treated the way they should be treated.

If you truly feel zoos are inhumane, maybe you should go to a few zoos and see how their animals are treated. Ask questions, see what they do with their money, how they feed the animals, what they do to make the environment most like their "natural" habitat. Then, when you find a zoo who treats the animals well, support it. Give them donations to help them keep up the good environment. Take your son to the zoo and teach him about all the different animals. Tell him about how well they treat the animals there and why it's important to treat animals well.

Finally, if you feel that animals have as much innate value and worth as human beings, disregard everything I just said. I can't relate or help =)

With respect,

Jessica

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

can i get a like button, please?

*click* *liked*

Jess(ica) said...

hehe you are funny. I have actually been trying to get the check boxes on my posts (like I have on my "is it naptime" blog) and for some reason it is not showing up. Otherwise you could have clicked "like" haha

erin said...

love your answer jess. like you i agree that life's too short to restrict grandparent/grandchild time over a zoo visit. but also agree that there needs to be a discussion!

good luck animal lover!

Unknown said...

Right on, Jess! I think you hit the nail on the head with your advice to this couple...spend time talking to parents about the issue in a calm environment and check out the zoos and support the "right" ones.

Tracy Klemme said...

Love your answer....

I from experience can see how it can be frustrating when parents don't respect how you feel on certain things, and I'm sure it wasn't just this one time that the writer had an issue like this with her parents, but I also do not think that it's something to get overworked about, but rather discussed calmly in a mature fashion so that both sides can understand where the other is coming from.